Code Enforcement

Storage Sheds & Accessory buildings

Storage sheds, tool sheds, and other one-story detached accessory buildings less than 200 square feet in area require a zoning permit. The zoning permit application must be accompanied by the required fee, a site plan showing all buildings upon the lot, the location of the proposed accessory building, and the setbacks to all lot lines and streets. Zoning permit applications for accessory buildings that are incomplete will be returned. 

For all storage sheds and accessory buildings with an area of 200 or more square feet, a building permit application must be completed and submitted. The building permit application must include a site plan showing the location of all buildings on the lot, distances of the buildings to the property lines, and the location of all streets. The construction details must also be included with the permit application including how the structure will be attached to the ground. Sheds and accessory buildings with walls within five (5) feet of a property line are required to have the walls fire rated on both sides to prevent the spread of fire. 

Property Maintenance Code

The property maintenance code is used for rental license inspections and U&O inspections for resale and to enforce general property standards. East Greenville currently uses and has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code.

East Greenville Borough has adopted the 2009 International Property Maintenance Code. Several important changes in this code include:

302.8 Motor vehicles. Except as provided for in other regulations, no inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Painting of vehicles is prohibited unless conducted inside an approved spray booth. Exception: A vehicle of any type is permitted to undergo major overhaul, including bodywork, provided that such work is performed inside a structure or similarly enclosed area designed and approved for such purposes.
Improper storage of inoperable vehicles can be a serious problem. These vehicles are unsightly, clutter the neighborhood, provide a harborage for rodents and are an attractive nuisance for children. No inoperable or unlicensed vehicles are permitted on a property unless approved in other regulations adopted by the Borough. This regulation addresses two problems associated with vehicle storage and repair including the blighting influence that improperly stored inoperable vehicles have on a neighborhood, and the neighborhood mechanic who attempts to operate a vehicle repair business from home. Motor vehicle repairs are permitted, but only if the work is performed in a structure designed and approved for such use. Inoperable vehicles are defined as: A vehicle which cannot be driven upon the public streets for reason including but not limited to being unlicensed, wrecked, abandoned, in a state of disrepair, or incapable of being moved under its own power.
302.4 Weeds. All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of 10 inches. All noxious weeds shall be prohibited. Weeds shall be defined as all grasses, annual plants, and vegetation, other than trees or shrubs; provided, however, that this term shall not include cultivated flowers and gardens.High grass and weeds on a property can be a health issue by harboring vermin. Lawns must be maintained and all noxious weeds and plants must be removed. Noxious weeds are defined by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture.
704.2 Smoke alarms: Single or multiple-station smoke alarms are required at the following locations:On the ceiling or wall outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms,
Inside each room used for sleeping.
In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics.
Single and multiple-station smoke detectors shall be installed in other groups in -accordance with the International Fire Code.

Residential Permits

Permits are required for the following construction activities:

The construction, enlargement, alteration, repair, movement, demolition or change in occupancy of a residential building.
   **This includes finished basements**
The erection, installation, enlargement, alteration, repair, removal, conversion or replacement of an electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.For Example: Permits are required for new heating systems or changes in fuel type (Oil to gas, etc.), Solid Fuel Appliances (wood, coal, pellet), Chimneys, new electrical wiring or electrical circuits or extension of old wiring, new plumbing and extension or repairs of existing systems, porch repairs involving replacement of joists, rafters or the supporting columns, etc.
The construction of an accessory building (garage, shed, greenhouse, etc.) with a floor area of 200 square feet or more. Accessory buildings less than 200 square feet require a zoning permit only.
Installation of an uncovered deck where the floor of the deck is 30 inches or more above grade or the deck area  exceeds 200 square feet. All decks with roofs require permits.
The addition to, or alteration of a water supply, sewer, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping.
The addition to, or alteration of electrical wiring.
The addition to, or alteration or a mechanical system.
Sidewalks and driveways more than 30 inches above the adjacent grade.
Alteration of window or doorway openings. Replacement windows within the same structural opening do not require permits.
Roof replacement. (Roof replacement of less than 25% of the total roof area does not require a permit.)
Construction or replacement of decks.
Fences over six (6) feet high.
Swimming pools with water twenty-four (24) inches deep, hot tubs and spas.
Retaining walls higher than four (4) feet.**A permit application and plans are required. Submit two (2) copies of the drawings/plans with the permit application.**

There are exceptions to the permit requirements. if you have questions, contact the code enforcement officer at (215) 679-5194, ext. 2, or by email.

Commercial Permits

Permits are required for the following commercial construction activities:

To construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a commercial building, structure and facility or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system regulated by the Uniform Construction Code.
Emergency repairs may be completed without first applying for a permit if a permit application is submitted within three (3) business days of the repair work.** Please Note: A licensed architect or licensed professional engineer is required to prepare the construction documents for commercial work. An unlicensed person may prepare design documents for remodeling or alterations if there is no compensation and the remodeling or alteration does not relate to additions to the building or changes to the building’s structure or means of egress.

**Submit two (2) copies of the drawings/plans with the permit application along with the required plan review fee.**

East Greenville Borough has opted-in to the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code.

To review the PA Uniform Construction Code click the following link: .

PA Labor & Industry Uniform Construction Code Website 

Code Enforcement

Use & Occupancy Permits

East Greenville Borough requires all properties to be inspected prior to selling. The inspections check for compliance with the Property Maintenance Code.  Inspections are scheduled by calling the Borough Office at (215) 679-5194. The link for the Use & Occupancy Permit application will direct you to a PDF of the application form that is required. Any corrections noted during the inspection will be included in a correction report that is sent to the owner/agent. The permit cost for a residential Use and Occupancy Permit is $100.00 and a commercial Use and Occupancy Permit is $150.00, payable to East Greenville Borough. This permit fee includes the inspection and re-inspection. 
Sellers are required to have their property’s sewer lateral inspected by the Upper Montgomery Joint Authority. Sellers/agents need to contact U.M.J.A.’s office to arrange the sewer lateral inspection, at 215-679-5133. The Borough will not be able to release the use & occupancy permit until the sewer lateral complies with U.M.J.A. and Plumbing Code standards.
According to Act 133 that was passed by Gov. Wolf and took effect on January 2nd, when a property is being transferred and a municipal inspection finds a violation, the Act requires temporary permits to be issued depending upon the type of violation found.  If the violation does not make the property unfit for human habitation, then the municipality is required to issue a temporary use and occupancy permit and the purchaser has 12 months to correct the violation.  If the violation is substantial (i.e. it makes the property unfit for human habitation), then the municipality is required to issue a temporary certificate of access and the purchaser has 12 months to correct the violation.  This 12 month time period can be lengthened but not shortened.

Rental License Inspections

All residential rental dwelling units are required to be inspected every three (3) years. Inspections can be scheduled by calling the borough office. The Borough’s Rental License program follows the same procedures as the Use & Occupancy -inspections except Rental Properties are inspected every three years. For a summary of the Property Maintenance Code requirements, see link above. The Rental Permit fee is currently $40.00 for the 3-year permit.


Zoning permits are required for the construction of any type of building, adding an addition or enlarging any building, and for the change of use of any building. A zoning permit application (see the link at the bottom of this page) must be submitted with the required fee. The application must include a statement as to the proposed use of the building or land, accompanied by a plan, drawn to scale, showing the location of the buildings in relation to all abutting property and street lines, and must show all streets. For signs, the size, height, location and construction of the sign must be shown.

To submit a zoning permit application, complete the zoning permit application and submit with the required fee per the fee schedule.
 Click HERE for a copy of the Zoning Map.

Dumpster/Bagster Permits

Dumpsters placed on public streets require permits. The cost is $21.00 for a 14 day permit. Section 91-22  states as follows: (C): Parking prohibited by vehicle type: (c) Dumpster, collection bin or other non-motorized contrivance for a period not to exceed 14 days, and then only after a permit is obtained from the Borough and with adequate reflectors and safety devices placed to prevent vehicles from colliding with such temporarily placed contrivances. See the forms section below for a dumpster permit application form.

Sidewalk Inspections

On November 26, 2013, Borough Council approved a borough-wide sidewalk repair plan including inspection of sidewalks in front of every sidewalk in the borough. Inspections of all sidewalks will begin in the High Priority Areas as identified in the plan. Property owners with defective sidewalks will be notified, and repairs are expected to be completed within one year of the inspection date. 

Forms & Applications

Print Friendly, PDF & Email